Llansawel Exploration

19th October 2013
Historically the riverfront of Briton Ferry was an extremely important area in the industrial development of Swansea. The original ferry crossing the River Neath was the first along the Roman road that followed the South Wales coastline and remained the lowest crossing point until a new bridge was completed in 1955.
The remains of the ferry slipway can be seen under the bridge that caused its demise.





The Briton Ferry Steel Co and the Albian steel works were founded in the 1840s on the east side of the river surrounding the Dock .


http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/wpw045726


The steelworks closed in 1953 and the only remaining structure from this vast industrial site these days is the huge Engine House. This was erected in 1906 to house a Blowing Engine that provided the vast amounts of low-pressure air needed for the air blast furnaces.